CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 6, 2011

Difficulty Breastfeeding

I knew from the moment I was pregnant that I wanted to breastfeed exclusively. It was the best thing for my baby and me. I wanted it so bad. When we left the hospital after delivery, everything seemed to be going well. One and a half weeks later, I was hit with a huge disaster...Hunter had badly damaged one of the two working pieces of equipment. I tried to keep nursing on it...big mistake. I went to a lactation consultant. She tried to help and told me to keep nursing on it as well. OUCH!! On top of all this, Hunter was tongue tied so he got clipped.

After three days of pain after meeting with the lactation consultant, I decided to pump that side and nurse on the other. I did that for a couple of weeks until my other side started to get really sore from nursing all the time. Of course, the original damaged side still was not healed. So, I had to pump both sides. I picked up a cheap manual pump that took forever but did the trick. I used it for about a week and a half.

Then after four weeks of healing, I tried putting Hunter back on. He re-damaged it in minutes. Back to the pump I went. I was so discouraged and emotional, I decided to get a double electric pump to pump exclusively. That was this morning.

I have talked to so many people today, I now realize I can use the pump BUT I really should try to get Hunter back to nursing to keep up my supply since I want to give him breast milk for a year. So, I am traveling to the home of a different lactation consultant today. She has been so wonderful over the phone, and I really think she will be more patient and understanding. She has been doing it for 50 years. If anyone can help, it is probably her! I am praying I can get my little one back on.

For all of you who are wondering, my baby has been gaining weight wonderfully...I have been blessed with being able to pump 2-3 oz from each side at one sitting giving my baby all he needs and storing the rest. He is getting to be such a chunker.

I will provide updates for you all throughout this situation. Probably another post tonight if I have time. If I can ever make it through this, maybe I will be able to help another nursing mom with my story and some advice later.




1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes I know a bit what your going through....
MY first 2 babies were tongue tied, it hurt soooo bad to nurse, we never had to get them clipped, maybe we should have, My nipples bled, BUT it got better :O) I put cabbage leaves in my bra, it cooled them and made my nipples feel better! Someone told me that that helps, I was up for trying anything :O)
When my 3rd baby was born, I was dreading nursing, the first thing I said was IS SHE TONGUE TIED? She was NOT and nursing was a breeze~
Good luck, I surly hope it gets easier for you!
Kim

Post a Comment