CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Review: bumGenius Deluxe 3.0 All In One, Aplix Closure

I thought this diaper was going to be one of my favorites for my little one as I said in my "First Impressions" post. I now feel a little differently than I expected. The bumGenius Deluxe 3.0 All in One is called an all in one (AIO) because it has the absorbancy sewn into the waterproof outer. It is truly like a disposable. I purchased one of these dipes with the aplix closure (like velcro) in the small size which is supposed to fit from 8 to 16 pounds.

This diaper ended up being huge in the rise on my son when he was 8 lbs, and he is a very long baby. I had to wait until he was almost 10 lbs before I could use it which of course cuts down its life. That really disappointed me. Once he got to 10 lbs, this diaper was one of my go to diapers because of its ease of use. Just put it on and go. It was lovely. Shortly after the honeymoon with this diaper, my son revealed he is a heavy wetter. I didn't think this would be a problem with this diaper since it still had a pocket that you could stuff extra absorbancy into. I found however, that it was a problem, at least for my son.
The pocket proved difficult to stuff because of the sewn in soaker. Also since this diaper is sized, I feel like the pocket is harder to stuff in the small sizes compared to stuffing the bumGenius 4.0 One Size diaper. I have a couple of those and they are a breeze to double or triple stuff. On top of that, once this diaper was stuffed with an extra soaker, it did not fit right on my little one and led to leaks both from the gussets and from the top of the dipe at the stomach. After finding this out, the only use for this dipe was a quick wear for 1, maybe 2 hours, very disappointing.
With the aplix closure, came a wonderful customized fit once my little one finally grew into this diaper. It does have its drawbacks though. The laundry tabs on this dipe have not held up the way I expected. They are not yet ready to replace, but they don't stay in the wash, and they usually attach to some other dipe in one way or another. I have had much better luck with my Rumparooz laundry tabs. This diaper also takes forever to dry. I do not dry in the dryer so that I can extend the life of my dipes. This diaper take about 24-30 hours to dry inside and if it is sunny, 4-8 hours outside (flipping inside and out in the middle of the dry).

A couple great things about this dipe are as follows. When it works, it is SUPER convenient. Also, the lining on the inside is super soft, and it keeps my baby dry and happy! I also love the waterproof material on the interior at the top right next to my baby's tummy. I think that definitely helps prevent leaks there. This diaper being a fitted all in one is also very trim and fits under my son's clothes very well. With AIO's, you have no stuffing or pulling inserts out of a pocket which keeps hands clean. The leg gussets in this dipe definitely keep those poo messes in too!

All in all, I am sad to say I would not purchase this diaper again. I love bumGenius as you will see with my review of their one size pocket diaper. This dipe just wasn't right for us with heavy wetting and all. Also, I must be fair and say that the next two sizes up might be better and fix the small pocket issues I was telling you about along with the awkward fit if double stuffed. This dipe is just too expensive with limited versatility for us. If we were to purchase a whole stash of these, at least 12 dipes in each of the 4 sizes would be a hefty price at $15.95 a dipe (x-small is $12.95). It just would not have worked out well!

If you really want to try this dipe, I recommend purchasing only one at first to see how it works for you and your little one also realizing it may work differently as he or she grows and you move him or her into the next size.


3 comments:

Liz said...

Great review! We are in size Large (at 14 m and 30 lbs, 33 inches long) due to rise issues and I can say that the larger sizes are way easier to stuff than the smaller ones. We use the Thirsties doublers and those work well. I think they're phasing these out though, so if you want to try a larger size you may want to get one of each (medium, large) now because I think they're, like, $9.95 on the Cottonbabies site.

Tab @ Home Life Relived said...

Liz, thanks so much for the advice!! I am glad to hear they are easier to stuff, and I might just head over to the Cottonbabies site right now!!

Unknown said...

We use the bum genius all in one diapers and like them much better as well =)

Post a Comment