CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 19, 2011

First Impressions: Thirsties Duo Hemp Prefolds

I have 5 of the Thirsties Duo Hemp prefolds in size 1.  Size 1 is supposed to last from 6-18 pounds.  These prefolds are made from a cotton/hemp blend.  The hemp is supposed to dramatically increase the absorbency.  One thing I have noticed about these prefolds is they are much softer than the indian cotton prefolds that I have.  I really like the feel, and I think my little one will too.

These prefolds are only 2 layers thick...a huge difference from the 4x8x4 indian cotton prefolds.  The duo hemp prefolds are much trimmer because of this, and I am excited to see how they will fit under all the cute onesies I have gotten.  Because they are a prefold, they do require folding which is super easy.  You can either stick them in a cover folded or snappi them on your baby.  They do require a waterproof cover.

I have pictured the prefolds below.  The second picture demonstrates the two layers.  I like how the layers are separated from each other for faster drying times.  These diapers need prepped.  Hemp has natural oils in it so I am going to be prepping these with 8-10 washes with drying cycles every 2 washes.  This is so that the diapers will not repel liquid.  Also, these prefolds should be prepped separately from other cloth diaper laundry so that the oils from the hemp do not cause repelling on the other dipes.  These prefolds can be washed with your normal cloth diaper laundry after they are prepped, and they can be dried in the dryer or hung in the sun for natural bleaching.

Prefolds really are the cheapest way to cloth diaper your child paired with covers.  At the time of this post, these prefolds cost $7 each.  That may sound pricey for a prefold, but I think the increased absorbency with less layers, trim fit, and increased flexibility will make it all worth it if they work well!

I have actually chosen to use these for my newborn (paired with diaper covers) along with the Kissaluv's fitteds because of their ability to fold easily and trimness.  I will be able to fold the rise down to the size I require which is not so easy with my indian cotton prefolds.

Another nice thing about prefolds is that you can use them as a doubler for increased absorbency in other diapers later.  Again, because of the trim fit of these prefolds, I don't think it will make my pocket diapers too bulky when I add these as a doubler.

All in all, I am really excited about these prefolds, and I hope they hold up.  If they do, I plan to purchase them in the next size up as well.  I'll let you know how it goes :-)



0 comments:

Post a Comment