CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Natural Childbirth: Meeting My Doulas Part 2

Okay okay, I know I'm a little bit late on this post.  I am sorry for that.

So meeting with my doulas went awesome.  I am super excited, and they have boosted my confidence for the natural birthing process.  They showed me different exercises that I can do to relieve pressure that I didn't know before.  I tried them out and they totally worked!!  I think I am going to go out and get an exercise ball too...to learn to balance before the birth.

I have also been experiencing pain in my pelvis, and they suggested that I go to a chiropractor.  Honestly, I didn't even know pregnant women could go to them.  I had no idea that an adjustment during pregnancy could help the pain or even make it go away.  Who knew?  Well maybe you did...

They also suggested perineal massage to help stretch my tissues.  There is a lot of success with this natural method of preparing for childbirth.  Lots of moms don't tear or have a need for an episiotomy if they do this during the last couple weeks of their pregnancy.  Have a story and want to share with me?  Vitamin E oil is what my doulas recommended to me in for perineal massage.  They said it contributes to the elasticity of your skin.  So...I am going to give it a try!

The doulas also suggested using evening primrose oil.  At first this sounded really awkward to me, but it is supposed to help ready your cervix for labor because it contains prostoglandins.  So again, I am up for anything natural that might make this process easier LOL.  I am going to give it a try!

So there you have it...I learned several new things that I can be doing over the next couple of weeks to prepare.  Personally, this just makes me more excited for my birth experience.  I know sometimes there is a lot of fear about labor.  I do know that it is going to hurt, but right now I am just focused on doing the healthiest things I can to make it go smoother for me and my baby.  Wow...it is a great relief to focus on that little miracle that will be joining your life than on the pain!!

Again, I just want to mention that you should not take this post as advice in any way.  Speak to your doctor before you try any of the above.  These things may not be for you.

Stay healthy!!



2 comments:

Amy said...

Way to go on the natural childbirth. Doulas are the way to go if you're going to go without medication. They are so great (my sister was mine with my last). My favorite thing when I was in labor was when my sister would do counterpressure on my lower back. It made the contraction pain almost completely go away, well until the end, that is. :) You can do it.
BTW I'm visiting from Cloth Diapering Bloggers. www.ohsosavvymom.com

Tab @ Home Life Relived said...

Wow...that is such an encouragement! And I think it would be so cool to have someone so close to you playing the role of your doula. That must have been very special!

I am super excited about the community at Cloth Diapering Bloggers...I think I am going to learn a lot from the mom's there.

I am going to check out your blog now!

Post a Comment